Land Securities and Made in Marylebone
13 March 2013
Over 50 volunteers from Land Securities gave up a full day of their time on 1 February 2013 to help local charity The Marylebone Project, which supports homeless women on the path back to independent living. A full programme of advice, support and resource to the project was planned and delivered over four months prior to the volunteer day with the objective of an improved social enterprise for the charity.
Made in Marylebone| is a social enterprise and part of the The Marylebone Project, the largest provider of accommodation and services to women experiencing homelessness in the UK. Staff from the Land Securities London Development Team spent the day helping the social enterprise which has 3 strands: Space in Marylebone, Handmade in Marylebone and Munch in Marylebone. The aim of these enterprises is to help equip women with skills, experience and employment support in addition to bringing a sustainable income stream into the charity.
The team split into four groups on the day:
• The ‘DIY SOS Team’ transformed the Portman Suite into a space to be rented out for conferences through the ‘Space in Marylebone’ enterprise.
• The ‘Hand Made Team’ crafted bags for sale at the market stall.
• The ‘Market Team’ set up and hosted a market stall on Marylebone High Street selling the bags made on the day as well as crafts and snacks (raising over £500), the team generated awareness of the Made in Marylebone social enterprises amongst local customers.
• The ‘Marketing Team’ facilitated an introductory workshop for nine residents.
As well as securing the support of its own staff as volunteers, Land Securities also involved its partners in the project:
• Sir Robert McAlpine| led the management and delivery of the construction work undertaken before, during and after the volunteer day. Their support included 500 staff hours and donation of over £5000 worth of materials.
• Our engineering partner, NG Bailey|, contributed 200 staff hours and £4000 worth of materials.
• Cooper Lighting| donated the new lighting for the Portman Suite.
• HSS Hire| provided equipment on the day free of charge.
• Our creative design agency partner, Bandstand|, designed creative for the bags made on the day and also designed and sourced banners for the market stall free of charge.
• Our film and media partner, Beagle Media|, made a film about the project free of charge.
Click here| to view the film.
Taking into account this support, as well as materials and staff time, in total Land Securities and partners were able to support Made in Marylebone with an in-kind financial investment of £65,000. The project also acted as a great team building exercise with one Land Securities Volunteer commenting: “We all got our hands dirty and learnt a great deal about each other and the project for which we were working.”
Lizzie Monks, Partnerships Officer for Time & Talents Westminster who brokered the partnership, said: “This will make a huge and really long-term impact to the charity which is fantastic.” To read the full Impact Report of the project produced independently by Time & Talents, click here|.
Bill Gallagher, General Manager of the Marylebone Project, said: “What an amazing difference Land Securities and their partners have made to us. It will contribute hugely to an inspired and motivated social enterprise to have such a wonderful lounge to work in. Having Land Securities’ affiliation has put us ahead of some of our planning by around 5 years.”
For further information on this project please contact Philip Barron, Land Securities London Corporate Responsibility Coordinator: Philip.Barron@landsecurities.com|